Aug 24, 2008

Price "less" Pieces

I love to mix high/low in my own home (but at the age of 26, there isn't too much room for the "high" if you know what I mean). I get so excited when I find something unexpected at a lower end store that looks pretty close to something three times its price that I have had my eye on for a while.

And if you are anything like me, you'll understand my need for bargain shopping- the pieces in my home are welcome to stay for about 6 months until I get sick of them and sell them off on Craigs List (and it's quite possible that if you have ever bought anything off Craig's List, I probably sold it to you) so needless to say, I don't like to spend a ton of money on home pieces that are "trendy".

Thought I'd share with you two of my recent bargains...

Exhibit "A"- this medium size Ballard Designs mirror is $199...it was the mirror I thought I wanted for over my bed...


As fate would have it one day, it brought me to Marshalls (the good Marshalls)- I'm sure all of you have one good Marshalls in your town/city...THE Marshalls- the nicer, newer one that you usually have more luck at.
I saw this tiny little mirror and I swear it looks exactly like the Ballard one but smaller so I bought it and found a perfect spot for it...and you want to know how much it set me back? A whopping $19.99! In my entire life I have never seen anything at Marshalls that looked that classy and trendy for $19.

Exhibit "B"- I love the Pottery Barn brass "architect's table lamp" for $149. I must admit, in addition to the style, I'm drawn to this lamp because of the name- with an architect's table lamp on my desk, I would now be "official". I could design great things under that lamp (so I thought)- purely because it was an "architect lamp". Then as fate would have it again...it brought me to Home Goods where I stop in from time to time (located in Irving)...it is TJ Maxx's "sister" (if you want to get technical)

I found this brass lamp very similar to the PB lamp....ok I still like the style of the PB lamp better but is there really that much of a difference? I didn't notice too much of a distinction, but my bank account did! A whole $110 worth a difference! (note: Home Goods lamp is a little more gold/cuter in person)
So this just goes to show you, that if you hold out, you just might have that "bargain story" to tell your friends and not to mention, $290 extra in your pocket for some new fall clothes!

7 comments:

Willow Decor said...

I have also found the most wonderful little treasures at HomeGoods! You just need to keep your eyes open and visit often.

Mango Gal said...

Great finds! I love HomeGoods, but haven't been to Marshalls in a while, I will have to give it a try!

Pigtown*Design said...

I got a Wedgwood silverplate teapot from Chez Marshall for $7.00. It was $200+ on the Wedgwood website. As Willow said, you've got to look around and know what's good and what's dreck!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. I used to live right down MacArthur until...I got married. Now I'm so far away from Homegoods. Great finds!

Visual Vamp said...

No matter how old you are, or how much money you have (or don't have), every material girl loves a well priced good looking object! The fun is in the looking for it too. The lamps - check out Wal Mart - they have a terrific pharmacy lamp for under $20. and it is very, very nice - as nice as Poverty Barn...

franki durbin said...

Love that! And yes... I love my "good" Marshalls. LOL! It pays to be persistent. Lovely!!

Things That Inspire said...

Love your finds, and wish you posted on the Atlanta Craigslist! I am looking for a nice looking, inexpensive but not cheap looking chandelier that I can enjoy for a few years and keep with the house when I move (I am determined to move within 2 years). I do not want to buy the Niermann Weeks chandelier that I have my eye on, because I do not want a potential buyer to insist on keeping it! I keep searching Craigslist, with no luck.