Sep 2, 2008

Fabric Art

First off, I'd like to introduce Jill Seidner who owns Jill Seidner Interior Design. She is an Interior Designer in Los Angeles who will be guest blogging for us! Some of her wonderful posts are soon to come! But to tide you over for now, here is a great post she did for us on Fabric Art.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In design & decorating, the walls cannot be ignored! There are so many applications for walls whether it be artwork, decorative painting, built-ins, tapestries, wall decals, wallpaper, or just color itself! However, there is one solution I love to recommend to my clients that is accessible and affordable – and that is the use of fabric art or textile art. If in one’s travels they come across an amazing piece of fabric – why not display it on the wall? It can easily be taken to a frame store for framing or simply tacked to the wall. There are several ways of display.

I am a big fan of one company who makes doing this quite simple and cost effective. It’s a company called Textile Art.

They specialize in Marimekko prints which are retro, mid-century modern, & contemporary Scandinavian designs. I love browsing all the different patterns, graphics & color.

Some of the various prints are:





I recommend purchasing one of the wall hanging kits if you are going to hang on the wall. They sell a wood frame kit so the fabric can be wrapped around the frame then simply stapled to the back. CB2 also carries these fabrics and they have a more modern mounting kit which is a hanging rail.

For a residential project of mine, we used one of the botanical fabrics with the wood mounting kit in the hallway of the client’s entry as seen in the picture.


Lastly, if you are really on a budget – find small fabric samples or scraps that can be turned into a series of wall art with inexpensive framing as I did in my own apartment using fabric & wallpaper samples:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I love all her ideas! She inspired me to do a framed damask fabric hanging in my bedroom!

No comments: