Oct 18, 2008

Halloween Decor!

It is hard to believe that it is the middle of October already!  I know I have been lax in my decorating for the fall (I guess I'm just saving up my energy to go all out for Christmas).  My mother-in-law goes all out for every season and loves every second of it.  I thought I'd share these pictures of her Halloween decor.  Enjoy!  


Vintage postcards are something Cathy always picks up in antique stores.  Often she will make a color copy of the postcards on card stock and then add glitter to really make them special.  Vintage postcards are pretty much available for every season... Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc.  Vintage wedding cards look awesome displayed at a bridal shower or luncheon.  

Using Scrabble stands, Cathy collects fun letters and incorporates them in all of her seasonal decorating.  


Halloween is really the time to get "creepy."  Scary black cat!  


No detail is too small, including the orange and black ribbon ties on the festive napkins. Another good idea is to collect old yearbooks and make photocopies of pictures that work with the season.  




If you look closely you can see how she covered books with coordinating scrap-booking papers.

Building up your seasonal decorating arsenal is no easy task.  It takes a while to gather gobs of glass domes, apothecary jars, cylindrical vases, candelabras etc.  It is a good idea to collect these things throughout the year.  For example, Pottery Barn always puts their mercury glass jars and containers on sale after the Christmas holidays.  Of course, the more organized you are the easier your life will be year after year trying to locate and find all of your decor for each season.  If you love the look but don't have the time, desire, energy, or knack hire a designer or decorator to do it for you!  

3 comments:

Juxtaposition Design said...

What thoughtful Halloween decorations! I especially love all the filled glass jars displaying halloween things and the spider webs over the fireplace

Anonymous said...

I la-ove the scrabble letters!

Love your blog!

KarenB said...

I'm not a big fan of Halloween, but I absolutely love the photo of kids dressed up to trick-or-treat. I've done that with Christmas and other seasons, but never thought of it for Halloween. I'm on the search for old photos! Cool idea!