Oct 4, 2008

Living Color


Ever since a fieldtrip in college to The Oklahoma City Museum of Art , I have been fascinated with Dale Chihuly and his colorful and bold pieces of contemporary art. The elements he creates are nothing short of amazing.


Dale became infamous for the large pieces of modern sculpture he would create from blown glass in the latter part of the 20th century.
Imaginative pieces by Dale are displayed throughout the OKC museum

Some a lot larger than others...

This one is just breathtaking in person


And who could forget Dale's installation in Vegas's Bellagio hotel? The story behind it is incredible...Dale built the entire 70' x 30' ceiling (full-scale) at his studio in Seattle.

I barely have enough room for floor plans in my "studio"! Named Fiordi di Como/Flowers of Como, this ceiling addition was installed with over two thousand handblown glass pieces!!! Impressive

End result if you haven't been to Vegas to see it already

I saw random Chihuly's the other day when I was reading an issue of the Austin/San Antonio Luxe Magazine and fell in love with a room designed by Mary Anne Smiley. I had never seen Chihuly pieces used in a residential space before, and I just couldn't get over how good this room looked with all of them in Dale's signature bright colors. Aside from color, the 3-D aspect of these elements coming off of the wall, really made a statement in this family's living room and gave the wall some dimension.

Mary Anne could have just opted for some standard wall decor- but why go for something simple when you have access to Chihuly and you have a creative brain like Mary Anne's!
After searching on the internet for some time, she finally located the perfect six at a gallery in Canada to complete her bright and symmetrical arrangement. Love love love!

8 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

I have a shot (one of my few remaining - computer was stolen) of a huge Chihuly piece in the lobby of the Victoria & Albert Museum in London! It's stunning.

Anonymous said...

I follow your blog religiously, live and practice interior design in Seattle. On my website, www.faithsheridan.com you can see an application of 'seascapes' for the Street of Dreams home I designed 2006.
You inspire me. Thanks for all the posts and pics.

Material Girls said...

Pigtown- I bet your shot is gorgeous! Would love to see.

Faith- your website/portfolio is very impressive! Such nice words coming from someone so accomplished herself!..glad you found our blog!

Anonymous said...

Those glass pieces are incredible! They really speak to the child in me with all that beautiful color! I'd love to have something like this in my home one day.

Things That Inspire said...

What a fabulous post~ I ove Chihuly. Is the OKC musuem display permanent? I had no idea it was there.

The Atlanta Botanical Garden has a great Chihuly piece, and a few years ago had a show where Chihuly pieces were all over the garden.

Material Girls said...

I didn't think the OKC exhibit was permanent but when I googled it, they still have pics up on their website so maybe it is!

Maybe they just didn't want to have to move that huge tall yellow Chihuly and so the exhibit just stayed- haha. If you ever get up to OKC you gotta go!

Anonymous said...

i'd lov to follow ur blog always
thanks

Anonymous said...

I love glass. My buddy does this for a living. It's neat to see what he comes up with. I don't think he's ever went to this extent though.. these pictures are awesome! Nice post. :-)