Jan 29, 2009

New Trend Alert: Butterflies


I've read in a few different publications lately how the new decor trend is "butterflies"
I can't say that I am entirely convinced of the butterfly trend...I've never been a huge fan of them- they remind me a little too much of Mariah Carey. But as I see more of it in home decor, it's starting to grow on me a little


Photo from Domino magazine via Design Public blog


Butterfly pillow, Tracy Porter


Lucite and glass console, 1st Dibs


Coasters- John Derian for Target

Art Insert, Butterflies, West Elm

Butterfly Mirrors, PB Kids
Cloissonné Butterfly Box and Bowl, Gumps

Butterfly rug, Design Within Reach

What do you think about butterflies in home decor? A yay or nay?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nay.

I think that real butterflies under glass or "scientific" looking butterfly images can be really neat and add a feminine touch to a home.

But butterfly-shaped furniture, mirrors, decor... yikes. I think it reads: I'm twelve.

ShopDownLite.com said...

I'm digging the butterfly's.

kelleyp said...

maybe for my 9 year olds bedroom. not for an adult. i cannot stand Mirah--she never looks good. based on that alone-a big NO

Texgirl said...

Have you seen the Les Papillons print form D.Porthault? The perfect pink, green and coral - it makes me feel spring has arrived!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I have to say I'm with you on this one. I have been contemplating buying preserved vintage butterflies mounted in a framed box. It's for a guest rm gone wild with a 70's like wall mural of the forest, mixed in with a twist of danish modern.

As for Mirah Carey..nothing nice to say there!